BBCA Conducting Competition 2022
- To be considered, applications must be received via the entry form no later than midnight GMT on Thursday 14 April 2022 (This has been extended to 30th April 2022)
- Conductors of any nationality or level of experience can enter and there is no age limit
- Any candidate who is a current member of the BBCA shall receive a 20% discount applied to their entry fee (i.e. the fee will be £40.00 GBP instead of the full fee of £50.00 GBP)
- Any candidate who joins the BBCA when entering the competition will be eligible to receive the 20% discount entry to the competition in 2022. Join BBCA here
- Once payment has been received no refund of entry fee will be given in the event of withdrawal/cancellation by the candidate
- Candidates are required to submit a maximum of 2 video recordings
- Recordings submitted must be of the candidate conducting an ensemble of at least 2 people. This does not have to be a brass band. This can be as part of a performance or a rehearsal.
- The video recordings should total a maximum of 15 minutes
- Video recordings submitted are to have been recorded in the last 6 years
- Video recordings that have been submitted to previous BBCA conducting competitions can be included
- Video recordings will only be considered for entry to the competition when accompanied with the relevant entry fee of £50.00 GBP (or £40.00 GBP for BBCA members)
- It is preferable for recordings to have at least 25% footage of the conductor from the rear of the ensemble. This is to enable the judging panel to observe conductor's intentions from the perspective of a player. Recordings with less than 25% footage of the conductor from the front will not be discounted.
Judging of entries and shortlisting
- On the basis of submissions, a judging panel (selected by the BBCA executive committee) will shortlist up to 12 candidates to attend the final competition, which will be in person and held at Eccles Town Hall on Saturday 18th June 2022
- Entries from BBCA members will receive recorded verbal feedback on their video submissions regardless of their placing in the competition. In the event that they are shortlisted, they will receive feedback on their live performance only
- At all stages of judging, the decision of the appointed panel is final
- Up to 12 candidates will be shortlisted and invited to attend the live competition, to be held at Eccles Town Hall on Saturday 18 June 2022
- A further fee of £50 or £40 for current BBCA members will be charged for those who have been shortlisted and wish to proceed to the final. This fee must be paid by 15th June at the latest, and a finalist's entry form completed in order to take part
- Finalists will be expected to cover their own travel costs
- Finalists will be required to conduct a set test-piece performed by a guest band. The chosen test-pieces will be made known ahead of the competition
- Judging for the final will be completed by a panel selected by the BBCA executive committee and is to include AT LEAST one external professional/teacher of conducting
- The top 6 candidates will have the opportunity to conduct a guest band performing a concert item at the evening concert to be held later that day. They will have an opportunity to rehearse the guest band for 15 minutes before the start of the concert
- By submitting an entry to the competition participants agree for their video to be used, either in full or part (i.e. video or still image), for broadcast in the use of advertising and/or promotion and to be showcased in any event by the association and its partner organisation BBE via radio, internet, television, social media and any other chosen media
- By submitting their application candidates also authorise the organisation to use their name and image in printed publications related to the competition
- BBCA expects that candidates are available for interviews, photo shoots, and any other activity designed to make the competition interesting for the media
- The winner will receive a cash prize of £200 (GBP), a year’s free membership of BBCA and the opportunity to rehearse and conduct a championship band.
- The 3 top finalists will each receive a glass plaque to keep.
- The top UK entrant will receive a glass plaque to keep. This person may be one of the top 3 finalists.
How to enter
- Use the online application form to enter, make payment and up upload your videos. Please complete by the close of 30th April 2022 GMT