At the Brass Bands England your personal privacy is important to us. This notice explains how we collect, store, manage, process, and protect your personal information. It lets you know the types of information we might hold, how and where we’ll use it once it’s been collected, and how we will keep it safe. We’ll always aim to be very clear when we ask you to share any information with us and won’t do anything with it that is unexpected.
As a membership organisation, sharing information is compulsory for members so that we can fulfil our obligations to you.
- Phone: 01226 771015
- Email: email@example.com
- Post: Unit 12 Maple Estate, Stocks Lane, Barnsley, S75 2BL
How We Collect Personal Information
We’ll collect information from you in several different ways. Most of the information comes directly from you and with your consent when you sign up as a member, via post or over the phone. We also gather some information when you browse our website, buy a ticket, answer a survey, or email us with feedback.
We will collect your personal information when:
- You buy tickets via our online platform
- You participate in one of our projects
- You become a member
- You make a donation to support us
We will always make it clear what data we are collecting from you during these transactions and how we will use and store that data.
The following data and information may also be collected automatically when you visit our website:
- IP address
- Referring website
- Web browser and device
- Time and date
- Web pages visited
- Geographical location
We may also capture your image in photography or in the video recording of a production or special event.
Yes. Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computer’s hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow it) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information.
This website creates a small number of Google Analytics cookies:
We use Google Analytics to find out information about your visit such as the amount of time you’re on our website, how many times you’ve visited, and how often you visit. If you’d prefer not to have Google Analytics cookies saved on your computer, you can change this through your browser’s privacy preferences. Instead, you could install a browser add-on that helps you manage Google Analytics cookies.
Third party links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
The Types of Personal Information We Collect
We only collect personal information that is essential to our operations as a business and which allows us to fulfil our obligations to our members, provide good customer service; maintain our records and accounts and to develop and promote our work.
Most of the information we collect is obtained directly from you and may include:
- Prefix and name
- Email address
- Date of Birth/age
- Contact phone number(s)
- Payment card details
- Delivery address(s)
- Billing address
- Any donations made to Brass Bands England and Gift Aid status, where applicable and as required by HMRC
- Records of communications sent to you by Brass Bands England or received from you
- Records of any volunteering by you on behalf of Brass Bands England
- Photos, film and audio recordings of projects or performances
If you are a student, we may also collect:
- Name and location of your College/University
- Name and location of your band
- Name of your course
- Dates of your course
If you are an attendee of a workshop or training session we may also collect:
- Contact details for parent or guardian (in the case of young people under 18)
- Any access requirements (this data is only collected with the explicit consent of the individual)
If you have a disability we may also process information which will help us make sure that you have the best experience possible when attending a Brass Bands England event, this could include:
- Your request to use assisted hearing
- That you bring an assistance dog
- You use a wheel chair
- You require a seat for a personal assistant.
Where this data is processed for purposes of monitoring and reporting it is always done so anonymously.
How We Use Personal Information
The information we collect about you helps us to provide you with the best service we can; to better understand what you need from us, and to make sure you don’t miss out on information about our services, events and special offers.
We process personal information to fulfil a contract with you (e.g. to provide you with membership services), where we have your consent to do so, where we are legally obliged to and where there is a legitimate interest. For example, we may use your information to:
- Deliver information and process transactions with you
- Improve the service we offer you
- Understand how you want to be contacted. i.e. email, post, phone
- Contact you about what’s on, membership, news, and topics you’ve asked to hear more about.
- Provide you with information about other goods and services we offer similar to those you have already signed up for or enquired about.
- Provide you with information on goods and services by other similar organisations, where we have your consent to do so.
- Create mailing lists to share information about our activities
- To conduct research to understand the geographical location and demographics of our members
- Gather feedback from you directly or by survey
- To alert you to opportunities to support Brass Bands England through making a donation or renewing your membership
- To carry out basic research to estimate your interest in supporting Brass Bands England as a charity
- To invite you to participate in research surveys, discussion groups or interviews to understand your opinions about our work
- To efficiently administer and renew any membership you may have.
- To make sure any communications we send you about supporting Brass Bands England are appropriate.
How We Manage and Protect Personal Information
We will never share your personal information with any third parties for marketing purposes without your prior consent. We will never sell, rent or trade your personal information.
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you enter, submit, or access your personal information.
We offer the use of a secure server. All supplied sensitive/credit information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our Database to be only accessed by those authorized with special access rights to our systems, and are required to keep the information confidential.
After a transaction, your private information (credit cards, social security numbers, financials, etc.) will not be stored on our servers.
We protect all the personal information we collect. Our computer network is protected, and information secure on password protected equipment. Hard copies are stored in hardcopy in locked filing cabinets.
We’ll only keep information for as long as is reasonably necessary for the purposes set out in this notice and to fulfil our legal obligations; we’ll never keep information longer than we need. In most cases, unless there is a sound reason for doing so, we will only keep personal data for a period of 2 years.
If you ask us to stop sending you direct marketing communications, we will; you can change your preferences at any time.
To fulfil our contract with you it’s sometimes necessary for third party providers to have access to your data so that they can perform services on our behalf. We may need to share personal information with:
- Service providers who work on our behalf for the fulfilment of a contract we enter into with you, for example processing card payments, mailing houses, marketing agencies, database services, website hosting or email delivery services.
- Research companies who help us to understand our audience to enable us to improve our service.
- Third party advertisers (such as Facebook or Google).
Anyone who provides a service on our behalf will enter into an agreement with us and will meet our data security standards. They will only use your data for the clearly defined service that they are providing.
- The police or a regulatory or government authority investigating illegal activities.
Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of the data you transmit to our site as no transmission over the internet is 100% secure; any transmission of your data to us is therefore at your own risk.
You have the right to ask us to amend or stop how we use your personal information including for marketing purposes. You can do this by phoning, emailing, or in writing using the contact details below.
You have the right to get the information we hold on you corrected. If you have any concern about the accuracy of your personal data, please let us know using the details below.
You have the right to be forgotten; if you would like us to remove the personal information we hold about you, please contact us using the details below.
You can request details of personal information the we hold about you by contacting the National Office (details below) and providing a description of the information you would like to see, together with proof of your identity. We will respond to all information requests within 28 days.
It is easy to access and amend the personal information that we hold on you. You can do this over the phone, via email, or in writing using the following details;
- Phone: 01226 771015
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: Unit 12 Maple Estate, Stocks Lane, Barnsley, S75 2BL
You have the right to lodge a complaint with The Information Commissioner’s Office.
If you are registered with BandSafe, your data will be managed in accordance with Brass Bands England’s Privacy and Data Protection Policies. Please see the BandSafe website if you wish to view the BandSafe Privacy Notice.
Further Information and updates to this notice
The brassbandsengland.co.uk website is owned and operated by Brass Bands England (registered charity No. 1148331). For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 and EU GDPR the data controller is Brass Bands England Unit 12 Maple Estate, Stocks Lane, Barnsley, S75 2BL Registration 08047535.
This notice was updated on 23rd May 2018. It may be necessary to update it from time to time to reflect changes to our business operations or to legislation. Updates will be posted on this page – please check back from time to time. We may also inform you directly of any changes.
Further information on data protection regulations and laws can be found here: