Who are Brass Bands England and what do you do?
Brass Bands England (BBE) are an Arts Council England (ACE) Sector Support Organisation (SSO). We encourage, support and promote all things Brass Bands. Click here to see examples of how we have supported Brass Bands, and to find out how we could help to unlock the potential of your organisation!
What is a Sector Support Organisation?
Sector Support Organisations are a new category within ACE’s National Portfolio for funding. Some of these organisations have previously been funded as National Portfolio Organisations (NPOs) (like BBE) or through other Arts Council investment.
SSOs play a vital role in supporting the cultural sector, but they don’t necessarily produce or directly deliver art or culture themselves. In BBE’s case, we offer services that support and encourage Brass Bands on a national scale.
Why should we join Brass Bands England?
BBE offers its members a wide range of benefits and services, such as:
- Unlimited free use of our DBS checking service;
- Specific advice and assistance tailored for Brass Bands;
- Discounted insurance;
- Member bands are eligible to apply to the Norman Jones Trust;
- We advise and assist bands with external funding applications;
- We lobby and advocate for brass band at both community and Government level.
For more information about the benefits of being a BBE member can be found on our join us page.
How can my band apply to join BBE?
Applying to join BBE is a quick and simple process. You will need to request an application pack which will need to be submitted, along with the membership fee, to our dedicated office team. Once received and processed by us you will have all the benefits that go with being BBE member!
How much does it cost to join BBE?
BBE’s subscription fees are both fair and competitive.
- Organisational Membership is £100 per year. Suitable for Brass Band Associations/Networks. Includes one Full Band Membership
- Organisational Membership plus 1 associated band is £150 per year
- Organisational Membership plus 2 associated bands is £175 per year
- Organisational Membership plus 3 or more associated bands is £200 per year
- Youth Band Membership is £75 per year
- Individual Membership is £25 per year
- Student Bands Membership (Coming soon!)
- Individual Student Membership (Coming soon!)
Can individuals join BBE?
You can join BBE as an individual. Joining as an individual gives you access to the same advice, help and support as our advocacy work going forwards. Individual members can also access our reduced rate of insurance from the Brass Band Insurance Service.
Our band is already member of BBE who do we contact?
You can find our contact information on our contact us page.
How can we recruit new members?
This is one of the most commonly asked and difficult questions to answer as there are lots of ways to recruit members. The main things to think about are – What are the strengths of your band? and What would make someone want to join? Are you a contesting band with great results, are you a great social band or do you specialise in community music and learning? Once you have worked out your USP (Unique Selling Point) recruitment should focus on showcasing these strengths. Your membership drive might include:
- A community performance with volunteers flyering passers by about membership vacancies;
- The formation of a training band to develop talent from within;
- Opening a dialogue with local schools;
- An online PR campaign to attract new members.
The list is endless. For more help sign up to one of our PR workshops or get in touch to talk through ideas with one of our team.